Monday, September 16, 2013

Why in the world to I need a domain name, hosting and a web site????

Most of my customers are small businesses who are quite busy trying to run their own shops!

It has come to my attention that portions of the web site design process may be a bit of a mystery, so I thought I would take the time to explain what these things are and why you need them for your web site!


Your Domain Name:


Your domain name is your address - much like the address of your house. In my case it is www.emerydesigns.net. This is where people find you on the world wide web. 

A domain name is in essence leased form a company like TUCOWS. You have to pay for this for the period of the lease (usually every year).

Many people purchase the domain name through their hosting company or their web site designer purchases it for you.


Your Hosting:


Hosting is a server where all your files are stored, much like the property on which your house is built. The files have to exist somewhere so people can visit them. 

There are many companies that provide a hosting service. I strongly recommend Hosting4less.com

This is also a service you purchase generally annually  and usually runs about $150/year. 


Your Web Site:


Your web site is a collection of files (the ones we have placed on the hosting serer). This would be similar to your house itself. 

Your we site designer designs these files with your information on them and that is what people see when they visit your domain name. SOme designers have a monthly fee for service.

I have a one time design fee, then maintenance fees or monthly maintenance programs - depending on how much updating you need! 

For example, many of my restaurants need to change their events every week. I change their web pages, update their social networking and submit the events to the newspaper on their behalf for a monthly fee.

I hope this clears a few things up for you! If you have any questions I would be glad to answer the for you!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment